Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Week 9: ENCHANT (Attend)

R.B. Kitaj, The Green Blanket, 1978






































Read Ovid's retelling of Baucis and Philemon.

The Chapter is Achelous Baucis & Philemon, in the Horace Gregory translation, Book VIII. p. 227 -- you can use search function to locate. Read the Baucis & Philemon part.

https://archive.org/stream/OvidHersiodVirgil22/Ovid__Horace_Gregory_The_Metamorphoses_djvu.txt

Also, by contrast, poet Thom Gunn has his own quite personal version--which you can find online.
____

By the way, I inadvertently went through a major re-assessment of the work ofR.B. Kitaj this week--I'll share some of this with you, along with the back-story. For now, I've posted two of this week's project descriptions--two Kitaj's along with the Baucis and Philemon. Let's talk in class about how they work for you--and how you respond to each of the images. I was thinking that the Garabedian paintings can often emphasize a certain grotesque--which (again) is not why I'm drawn to them. More because he so clearly follows the path, wherever it leads... and remains honest in this...

"Sometimes I have poor taste in my choice of heroes..."
_____






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

The painter Anthony Dubovsky was born in San Diego, California, in 1945. He studied with Willard Midgette at Reed College, and has lived in Warsaw, Amsterdam, Buenos Aires, and Jerusalem. "An exploration in which the goal becomes a part of the discovery..." You can reach him at anthonydubovsky.com