Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Week 1: Followup on first class


Good to see everyone in 170 last night! Hope you'll go on thinking about the Giotto-Cy Twombly juxtaposition (notion of early and late in a tradition), with the Pasolini film as leavening (where do our characters come from) and Philip Guston* and Susan Rothenburg for ways of working. Plus Piero della Francesca (The Resurrection, in San Sepolcro), Pissarro, Keith Haring, San Diego beach bikes, car in second story window, the whole deal... It all weaves in and out...

Please send me a confirmation email (CONFIRM in subject line) one more time so I know who's in--I need to be fair to others still on waitlist.

Looks like we have a group of 14, which is fine, but we'll have to be judicious in how we handle our review time. Also, ith a larger group, we'll go later than 9pm. Aiming to finish by 9:30 or a bit over. Make sure you can accommodate! I expect everyone to be there for full class.

My first post in up on the class blogsite, you take a look:   https://anthonydubovsky54.blogspot.com/

Digital notebooks. Set yours up on blogger, send me an active URL to your homepage. I'll post on class blogsite. Robin asked about writing. I said "YES." What I meant was--it's crucial--but how you find your way to what you write is also part of the path. The writing is in parallel with the painting.

Touch. The first project. Medium is your choice, but let the hand show--a painting perhaps...  Bring to class next week, we'll put them on the white walls. Post a photo on your blog, with writing.

Introductory post. I usually have everyone start their digital notebooks with an autobiographical post--something you write by way of introduction, telling us who you are, where you want to go. For the new people (Lucas, Kate, Echo and Derek) please include this. For the continuing people, I'll leave it optional. I DO want everyone to post for TOUCH, with writing in parallel.

see you all again next week...!

Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

The painter Anthony Dubovsky was born in San Diego, California, in 1945. He studied with Willard Midgette at Reed College, and has lived in Warsaw, Amsterdam, Buenos Aires, and Jerusalem. "An exploration in which the goal becomes a part of the discovery..." You can reach him at anthonydubovsky.com